Will Tuvalu and Verisign object to .TVS
T V Sundram Iyengar & Sons Limited applied for the .tvs extension in the new tld expansion.
A little about T V Sundram from their application:
Introduction to TVS Group
• TVS group is a 100 year old renowned business conglomerate in India. It has revenues of US$5.7 Billion, for the Financial Year 2012-13.
• It operates primarily in the automotive sector. Itʹs businesses are automotive dealerships, Motorola cycles and scooters, logistics services, and financial services.
• All itʹs businesses operate under the common brand of ʺTVSʺ
• The group comprises of 40 + companies & employs 25,000 + people and its operations expand internationally to USA, UK, GCC, Indonesia & China. Itʹs world class manufacturing facilities span 6 countries, across the globe.
• Its customers include all the top tier car and commercial vehicles world-wide. It has won supplier of the year awards consistently from several global brands. The group’s automotive component businesses have global revenues of over 30% of sales.
• With strong in-house R& D and fueled by robust manufacturing process driven by Total Quality Management (TQM), Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) & Lean practice, 5 of the group companies were awarded prestigious DEMING award – by Union of Japanese Scientists & Engineers (JUSE).
• The Group is actively practicing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and has touched over 200,000 citizens. It has created self-reliant and sustainable development of rural communities – in the field of economic development, primary health, education, environment, infrastructure -
spread across villages – in co-operation with and active participation by the local communities. Last year, some of these initiatives were recognized with national awards.
• Uniting these multiple businesses is a common ethos of quality, customer service and ethical business practices, that collectively represent the TVS brandʹs value. The groupʹs brand has been rated as the sixth most trusted Indian brand in recent polls.
• “TVS” is built up on core ideals of “Trust” with uncompromising “ethics”; (Value) in business performance; and strong passion towards customer requirements (Service).
Mission⁄Purpose of proposed gTLD
• The proposed gTLD is for internal use by group companies, employees, suppliers, distributors, dealers, service partners and all stake holders including loyal customers within the TVS Group.
• The mission of .TVS is to reinforce the existing identity and brand in the internet web space in a more meaningful way within the eco-system of TVS group and also to– expand the TVS presence in the “online space” both nationally and internationally.
• The purpose of gLTD is to:
o Provide a self identity to the businesses and all stake holders within the TVS Group
o Strengthen the professionalism and trust among businesses, customers, dealers and organizations
o Create a uniquely branded web presence enhancing the service level to the customers
The .tvs extension is obviously similar to the .tv extension which is the country code for Tuvalu and run by Verisign.
Their is an objection provided by ICANN that deals with similar string confusion.
The applied for gTLD string is confusingly similar to an existing TLD or to another applied-for gTLD string. If two confusingly similar TLDs are delegated this could cause user confusion.
See section 184.108.40.206 of the Applicant Guidebook.
It will be interesting to see if Verisign or Tuvalu object to the .tvs extension.